2 Tbsp Gojugang paste
1 tsp Laogonma
1” Ginger knob
2 TbspGarlic powder
2 jalapeños, roughly diced
2 cups white rice
4 cups water
1 large eggplant
1/4 cup kosher Salt
8 oz Shiitake mushrooms
16oz ground pork
1/2 cup Soy sauce
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp Water
2 tbsp Rice vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
12” cast iron skillet
8” cast iron skillet
1. Peel eggplant and slice into 2” long pieces. Place in large bowl. Add 3 Tbsp of kosher salt, and mix to coat evenly. Let the eggplant sweat for 15 mins, then remove excess water and salt with paper towels.
2. While the eggplant is sweating, rinse 2 cups of white rice under running water to remove starch. Place rinsed rice in instant pot with 4 cups of cold tap water. Seal vent and set to high pressure for 10 mins (the rice setting will do this for you)!
3. Seed and roughly dice 2 jalapeños, and clean the shiitake mushrooms under cold running water.
4. Combine rice wine vinegar, white sugar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and water in a small bowl. Whisk until homogeneous.
5. Heat 12” skillet and 2 Tbsp canola oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add eggplant. Stir continuously. Cook until 80% cooked, then remove & place in large bowl that was used for salting.
6. Peel ginger knob with the back of a spoon, and grate using a microplane. Add grated ginger, laogonma, and gojugang paste to hot skillet, adding oil if necessary. Stir rapidly to combine and avoid burning. Add 1 tsp garlic powder while mixing.
7. Add ground pork to large skillet, still over medium high heat, and stir continuously, making sure to evenly distribute the gojugang ginger paste. Cook 80% of the way through.
8. While pork is cooking, dry heat the 8” skillet. Cook the shiitake mushrooms and jalapeño pieces until just softened. Remove from heat.
9. Add sauce to cooking pork, stir to combine, then add partially cooked eggplant along with garlic powder. Add mushrooms and jalapeño bits, stir, then cover with a large lid for 10 minutes.
10. Allow instant pot to vent, stir components in skillet, and slice green onions.
11. Serve stir-fry over rice. Top with mungbean sprouts and green onions.
• Make sure to add eggplant to HOT oil to avoid making eggplant greasy.