Waste not, want not. Here’s how to make anything drinkable.
2 cups red wine
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup blueberries
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 oz mezcal
1/2 oz triple sec
- Rinse blueberries and remove any stems. In a small pot, add 1/2 cup water to the blueberries. Simmer for 5 minutes and macerate with the back of a fork.
- Add honey, and stir. Add red wine, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, mezcal, and triple sec. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Strain, cool, and serve in a thick glass!
- Glühwein originates from Germany/Austria, and is a mulled wine traditionally served after a long day of skiing.
- Use thick glasses, and be sure to pre-heat with warm water to avoid thermalshock breakage!
- Mezcal and triple sec add acid, which is a great way to cut the bitterness of tannins.
- Sangria is a warm weather alternative to salvaging bitter wine.