Why was I awake so late last night? Because this mocha ice cream was delicious & caffeinated!
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 packets instant coffee singles (about 0.14 oz)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1. Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the lid of a large glass Tupperware.
2. Place a large glass Tupperware in the freezer.
3. In a large metal bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks.
4. In a ramekin, dissolve the instant coffee in the vanilla extract.
5. In a medium bowl, pour the sweetened condensed milk. Add cocoa powder & use a whisk to thoroughly combine- taking care to break up any lumps.
6. Add the instant coffee and vanilla extract combo from the ramekin to the sweetened condensed milk, & whisk to combine.
7. Add 1 cup of the whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk, and gently fold to combine with a rubber
spatula- take care not to disturb the airpockets you worked so hard to create.
8. Add the lightened sweetened condensed milk mixture to the remaining whipped cream, and gently fold to combine.
9. Transfer to the large glass Tupperware from the freezer, and gently press the wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 5 hours.
– Adding the instant espresso to the vanilla ensures it’s distributed evenly, and no large granules are left in the final product. Do as I say & not as I do!
-The sweetened condensed milk is lightened by folding in whipped cream before combining with the rest because adding it undiluted will burst air pockets due to the weight of the condensed milk.
-The wax paper pressed upon the surface stops ice crystal formation due to the anaerobic layer.
-I was kicking myself for not adding brownie chunks, or mini chocolate chips.